Stormy Sky

Stormy Sky
When I Walk Through The Shadow Of Death I Shall Not Fear

Saturday 10 December 2016

Don't Patch Work Clothes With A Fine Silk Scarf

In Luke 5 the Pharisees were harassing Jesus because he was partying and not fasting.  The law dictated that the Jewish people fast, how dare Jesus go against the law, according to the Pharisees.

Jesus response was that if you are at a wedding, celebrating with the bride and groom you would not fast, instead, you enjoy the celebration and eat.  While the groom is in your presence you celebrate.  When he is gone then you can fast and tighten your belt to lose the weight you gained during the celebration. 

Jesus was referring to Him being the  groom and there would be plenty of time to fast after He went back to heaven. 

I have heard Christians condemning the potlucks we have at church as being a glutton.  Gluttoning in the bible refers to one who always overeats.  Not once in a while at potlucks.  As I read this passage this came to my mind.  There is a time to fast, a time to eat sensibly and time to celebrate and eat more than we need.

Jesus ended this passage with a parable that I didn't think fit in here.  What was Jesus saying? 

Luke 5:36-39  No one cuts up a fine silk scarf to patch old work clothes; you want fabrics that match. And don't put wine in old, cracked bottles; you get strong, clean bottles for your fresh vintage wine. And no one who has ever tasted fine aged wine prefers unaged wine. (Message Bible)

I pondered on this and asked God what it meant for me.

On December 6 I read the daily prophetic word from Bill and Marsha Burns. God speaking through Marsha Burns said many have condemned themselves. www.ft111.com

I have done that.  I have condemned my pottery.  If a piece of pottery doesn't turn out the way I expect it to I don't put it up for sale.  I think, who will want to buy that.  Then I do put it up for sale and it sells.  We are all different.

I felt God was telling me with this passage that when He brings a new thing into my life don't patch it with my old thoughts.  I wouldn't tear up a fine silk scarf to patch my husbands work clothes. Yet I am taking God's belief in me, that I am that fine silk cloth or the vintage wine and I am tearing it up to go back to my old ways, the work clothes or the  putting the wine in cracked bottles, which is a waste.  I condemn what God has given me when I go back to the old thoughts.  I am not celebrating the feast of the groom, the gift of Jesus, who took our sins to the cross. 

I am a child or God and He is the king of the universe.  I need to see myself, not as the worthless person, people have told me I was, but as a princess who God dresses in the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment